Sunday, May 15, 2005

Now I Want to do a Triathlon

I wanted to get back to exercising quickly this year so as not to get out of the habit. On Monday and Thursday of this week, I rode a bike in our gym at work and swam on Tuesday and Friday. The bike doesn't seem to be much of a challenge for me. Swimming is another matter. I did more resting on Tuesday than I did swimming. After reading some suggestions on beginningtriathlete.com, I was able to work a little more efficiently in the water on Friday. Knowing that I can run, that bicycling seems easy, and that with enough work I should be able to handle a long swim, I've decided that I at least want to start training as if I were going to do a triathlon. Two practice swims have taught me that I definitely need some goggles. I keep reading about wet suits - we'll see about that. They're expensive. Add the cost of a wet suit to the price of a decent road bike and we could be in the poor house rather quickly. Train for a few months and see if I am going to stick to it, then I'll consider some of these other purchases. That's my plan.