Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Narnia to Hit the Screens in December

Just yesterday, I saw that there will be a new movie coming out in December. Big deal, right!? There are always new movies coming out in December to get the Christmas dollars. This movie, if they do it right, may end up being my favorite movie ever. C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is being made into a new movie. It's been out before in cartoon and PBS versions. This time, we'll get the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings quality movie.

While I am very interested to the see the movie, there a couple of reservations I have. My first fear is that they are going to dumb down or eradicate the Christian imagery. Lewis was retelling the story of Christ's redemptive work through Aslan. Maybe Aslan will not turn out to be just some magical, mystical, animal guru.

The other fear is nothing that anyone else can prevent. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is my second favorite book for all time. It runs a very close second to The Voyage of The Dawn Treader - another book in the series. I know what things look like in these books and there is no way that the movie will look like my images. In watching the movie, I will lose touch with my "Aslan" and my "Lucy." My "Cair Paravel" will be gone. The only real solution I have to this problem is to read the series one more time before the movie. I can say goodbye to the old version of those characters and places then. It'll be tough - I've known them better than 20 years.

No comments: