Monday, April 25, 2005

Running in the Rain?

This coming Saturday will feature my second mini-Marathon. I've been training off and on since December for it this time so as to avoid increasing my mileage too quickly and having an overuse injury. Last year, the running resulted in a stress reaction in my knee. There wasn't any of that this time around, but I have had some real problems with my calf in the left leg and lower shin in my right. Just last week I finally put it all together that I had been running too many hills. The mini that I am running is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival. It does have some significant hills, but I have made them too much a part of the training routine. While doing a 95% flat track for last week, my legs have fared much better. Now I know. The only hindrance to a great run on Saturday appears to be a good chance of rain, but it's still several days off. Maybe the meteorologists have it wrong. After the Thunder Over Louisville disappointment, I hope they are. For the record, I will not be going to Cincinnati the next day to run a marathon like Gary Van Kuiken.

No comments: